A realtor and contractor once told me to never put draino down your drains unless you want a big problem later. This solution won’t unclog stubborn drains but it will get a slow drain flowing again.
How to Unclog A Drain With Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Pour a pot of boiling hot water down your drain.
- Dump in about 1/2 c. baking soda. Let that sit for a few minutes.
- Then, pour a mixture of 1 c. vinegar and 1. c very hot water down on top of the baking soda.
- Cover with a drain plug (to keep the reaction down below the drain surface) if you have one and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Flush one more time with a pot of boiling water.
Getting the baking soda to go down the drain is a challenge – unless you maybe have the drain cover completely off. Once you add the vinegar it foams up the sink around the drain and doesn’t do much else. You’re better off getting a sink plunger.